Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shady Dream Team?


So...there was some excitement in the world of hip-hop this past month due to the signing of Slaughterhouse and Yelawolf to Shady Records. I know when I heard I got pretty geeked. That's like something a hip-hop head dreams up...but not something that usually comes to fruition. But after my initial buzz of the news wore off, I began to think about the situation a little more critically.

Off the bat, I think it's a great move for Yelawolf. He's already building momentum and I gotta think that having Em as a mentor is only gonna make him step his game up. He's versatile and has a really good chance at blowing up...they'd really have to fuck that up for it not to work out. But it's not so simple with Slaughterhouse. You gotta keep in mind that all four members have had a shitload of label problems in the past. Joe Budden had major issues with the Def Jam machine. I think Royce...well I don't remember exactly what label he had problems with, but they contributed to his career not really being where it should be. Crooked I was signed to the infamous Death Row (I don't think that's worked out well for anyone in the history of rap). Joell Ortiz was signed to Aftermath working with...Dr. Dre of course...and we never saw even ONE song come from that partnership. So, with that being said, there has been instances in the past where a label signed some dope people and everyone got excited but then nothing came of it. At one point Roc-A-Fella had M.O.P., Twista, and a bunch of people that never even put an album out. Dr. Dre was with Rakim for a while and did like 1 song.

I guess I'm just saying I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet. I'm really rooting for these dudes and I wanna see them do well. Yelawolf's album Trunk Music: 0-60 is definitely some good music from a dude who definitely has his own style (rare these days). He supposedly has his Shady/Interscope debut coming out this spring...we'll just have to wait and see. The Slaughterhouse EP just came out and it's hella dope...definitely cop that. Also, Joell Ortiz's heavily delayed solo album, Free Agent, just dropped and it's fire fire flame fo sho...check it out. If you're about hard-hitting rap and you respect lyrical fitness...support these guys...

No comments:

Post a Comment